The US has dropped a 21,000 Massive Ordinance Air Blast bomb on ISIS in Eastern Afghanistan according to four US military officials with direct knowledge of the mission.
It is the first time the bomb has been used on ISIS fighters. In fact, it is the first time the US has used it in battle period!
The MOAB — Massive Ordinance Air Blast — is also known as the “Mother Of All bombs.” It was first tested in 2003, but hadn’t been used before Thursday.
For comparison to the 21,000-pound MOAB, each Tomahawk cruise missile launched at Syria last week was 1,000-pounds each. It is the largest non-nuclear bomb in the US arsenal.
Looks like Donald Trump meant business when he declared he would destroy ISIS.
The bomb was dropped by an MC-130 aircraft, operated by Air Force Special Operations Command, according to the military sources. They said the target was an ISIS tunnel and cave complex as well as personnel in the Achin district of the Nangarhar province.
The military is currently assessing the damage. Gen. John Nicholson, commander of US forces in Afghanistan, signed off on the use of the bomb, according to the sources. Authority had to be sought from Gen. Joseph Votel, commander of US Central Command.This is the first time a MOAB has been used in the battlefield, according to the US officials. This munition was developed during the Iraq War.
The attack against ISIS takes place just days after a Green Beret was killed fighting ISIS in Afghanistan, a U.S. defense official confirmed to Fox News.
The MOAB is so massive it had to be dropped out of the back of a U.S. Air Force C-130 cargo plane.
The target was ISIS tunnels and extremists in the Achin district of Nangarhar province.
“We kicked it out the back door,” one U.S. official told Fox News.
“As [ISIS’] losses have mounted, they are using IEDs, bunkers and tunnels to thicken their defense,” Gen. John Nicholson, Commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement. “This is the right munition to reduce these obstacles and maintain the momentum of our offensive against [ISIS].”
He stated that U.S. forces took every precaution to avoid civilian casualties.
Donald Trump is going to defeat ISIS, and Americans need to be fine with that. Obama took a position of weakness and leading from behind. ISIS has grown exponentially over the last decade.
While Trump’s major campaign promise was the border wall, his more important promise was to destroy ISIS. Donald Trump often focused on ISIS, an acronym for the brutal Islamic fundamentalist group that seized control of territory in Syria and Iraq.
“We are going to convene my top generals and give them a simple instruction. They will have 30 days to submit to the Oval Office a plan for soundly and quickly defeating ISIS. We have no choice.” Trump stated.
Tump discussed the plan during his address to Congress on Feb. 28:
“As promised, I directed the Department of Defense to develop a plan to demolish and destroy ISIS, a network of lawless savages that have slaughtered Muslims and Christians and men, and women and children of all faiths and all beliefs. We will work with our allies, including our friends and allies in the Muslim world, to extinguish this vile enemy from our planet.”
He has obviously put together his plan. We will see what happens next!