Dec. 7, 2012: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at a news conference at Stormont Castle in Belfast, Northern Ireland. (REUTERS)
The State Department has released additional details about the purported concussion sustained by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, saying the incident occurred early last week at her home.
The agency said doctors diagnosed the injury Thursday and repeated it was the result of Clinton becoming being sick and fainting.
The doctors did not determine the concussion to be “severe,” a State Department official said on the condition of anonymity.
Dr. Lisa Bardack of the Mt. Kisco Medical Group and Dr. Gigi El-Bayoumi of George Washington University said Saturday that Clinton was suffering from a stomach virus and fainted after becoming extremely dehydrated.
The 65-year-old Clinton is recovering at home and has been advised by her doctors to avoid strenuous activity and cancel all work events this week — including scheduled open testimony on Capitol Hill regarding the deadly terror attacks at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.
U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killing in the Sept. 11 attacks.